Having built a powerful Windows desktop with the following configuration, I would like to share the requirements and high level deployment process for a single machine XenDesktop 7.15 LTSR lab.
Host machine configuration:
- Windows Server 2016 Standard evaluation with Hyper-V server role and management tools
- RAM and SSD storage will be much appreciated of course, the more the better.
- All virtual machines have single vNIC, minimum 2 GB RAM (Hyper-V dynamic), 2vCores CPU as well as basic 40GB dynamic Hyper-V disk. The following virtual machines pre-created based on sysprepped Windows 2016 Standard template:
- DC01. Includes Active Directory domain services, DNS, file server (for Citrix UPM), certificate services (for Storefront SSL certificate) and DHCP (for PVS).
- CTX01. Includes Citrix XenDesktop 7.15 LTSR Delivery Controller, Citrix Licenser server and Citrix Storefront 3.12. Initially a demo 30-day license can be used (included by Citrix) or a new trial license can be issued from MyCitrix account website. The Citrix server roles can be consolidated except for XenDesktop VDA.
- VDA01. Includes Citrix XenDesktop 7.15 LTSR VDA (session machine), which can be a server or desktop OS VDA.
- SCVMM01. Includes System Center Virtual Machine Manager (for use of Citrix MCS provisioning technology)
- PVS01. Includes Citrix PVS server (for use of Citrix PVS provisioning technology), running also PXE and TFTP services.
- Master01. This used as the master image for creating PVS vdisk.
- (Optionally) Netscaler VPX Express can be used for evaluating HDX proxy with Netscaler Gateway.
Citrix lab high level deployment process: This is based upon guidance from Citrix CTP Carl Stalhood: http://www.carlstalhood.com/xaxd/xenappxendesktop-7-15-ltsr/